Dec 10, 2019
Option in Statistics (120 units)
This option provides a foundation in statistical methods. The courses required ensure that the student understands how the techniques are mathematically derived and how they are applied. Statistical analysis is an essential part of any scientific investigation and is a vital tool in monitoring the quality of products and services and in forecasting.
Take all the following courses:
Take the following course:
Take a minimum of 34 units of MATH or STAT courses to include the following (but not MATH 303 , MATH 309 , MATH 370A , MATH 370B , or MATH 409 ):
Three units of the elective upper-division MATH or STAT courses may be replaced by MATH 233 .
Honors in Mathematics
Students majoring in the B.S. in Mathematics (all options) who would like an enriched academic program that includes a thesis may complete the Honors in the Major program described here.
May also complete General Honors through the University Honors Program, in which case the thesis requirement may be met through the Honors in the Major.
Admission to the Honors in the Major program will be determined by the Honors in the Major Advisor.
- Junior or senior standing with at least one year remaining before graduation.
- Declared major of B.S. in Mathematics or any of its options
- GPA's of at least 3.500 in all courses in the major and in all upper division courses in the major at the time of application.
- Submission of an application describing the student's academic background, reasons for applying, and willingness to commit to completion of the requirements, including a thesis.
- Letter of recommendation from a CSULB faculty member familiar with the student's work and abilities.
- Completion of the following:
- GPA of at least 3.500 in all upper division courses in the major and in all courses in Items 3, 4, and 5, below.
- Completion of all requirements for the chosen option of the B.S. in Mathematics.
- It is a requirement for this Honors in the Major program that the 6 units of MATH 491 , MATH 496 , and MATH 498H be in addition to the Department of Mathematics and Statistics course requirements for the B.S.
- Presentation of thesis results in a public forum. This forum could be at a meeting of a scientific or professional organization or a campus or departmental forum, subject to the approval of the Honors in the Major Advisor. Substitutions to this program must be approved by the Honors in the Major Advisor.
Completion of at least one of the following courses:
These courses may be included among the upper division units for the major, in item 2 (above), if allowed in the student's major.
Completion of at least three units of any combination of:
Completion of 3 units of: