Nov 20, 2019  
2018-2019 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Computer Engineering Technology, B.S.

This program is available to students interested in the manufacturing of computers and the applications and operations aspects of computer hardware and software. Emphasis is placed on specific job skills required of entry level professionals in computer industry, including systems analysis and design, data administration, networking, data communications, data acquisition, oral and written communication, and management principles.

Major Declaration

Freshmen admission to engineering majors is to a 'premajor' status (i.e., Pre-Computer Engineering Technology). Continuation in the major will be subject to meeting specific lower division course and GPA requirements at CSULB that indicate the student's ability to succeed and complete the major. Transfer applicants and CSULB students seeking admission into Computer Engineering Technology must also meet similar major specific requirements. To become fully admitted into the Computer Engineering Technology major, all prospective students (i.e., pre-majors, undeclared, major changes) must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA and complete the following lower-division courses with a minimum grade of "C" prior to earning 60 units:
Core Lower Division Major Requirements:

Core Lower Division Major Requirements:

General Education Foundations Courses:

Written and Oral Communication

Degree Progress

First-Time Engineering freshmen pre-major and transfer students must complete the Engineering Degree Progress Requirements within their first academic year. At the end of the second full semester, typically Spring, students who have not met the requirements must either declare another major or meet with an Academic Advisor from the Engineering Student Success Center (ESSC) to determine if the student's performance in the courses merits an additional Semester to complete. Such students must submit a Degree Progress Extension Petition with the College of Engineering Dean's Office.  

First-Time Freshmen:

A grade of "C" or better must be achieved in within one calendar year.

Transfer Students:

A grade of "C" or better must be achieved in within one calendar year.

All Engineering Majors

All Engineering majors are expected to make satisfactory degree progress by completing attempted units, limiting repeats/withdrawals, satisfying critical benchmark courses in a timely manner, and maintaining minimum 2.0 Overall and Major GPAs.  Degree Progress is monitored for all undergraduate students each semester. Petitions to attempt a course for the third time are only considered in extenuating circumstances. Students who are not making satisfactory degree progress as described above will have a hold on their registration and are required to meet with their advisor to develop an academic plan.  Failure to satisfy the academic progress requirements will result in the student being disqualified from the major.  


A grade of "C" or better must be achieved in all of the courses required for the major. A minimum of 120 units is required for the Bachelor's Degree.  

Lower Division:

Upper Division:

Take at least 3 units from the following, in consultation with an advisor:


To meet prerequisite standards for courses in this program's requirements, a "C" or better is necessary in the following:

Fieldwork Requirements

Fieldwork experience is required for the BS in Computer Engineering Technology, consisting of no less than three months full-time (40 hours/week) (or equivalent part-time) of employment in an approved industry or governmental agency. The student must hold a position equivalent to a technician or higher which affords the opportunity to exercise responsibility usually given to those who have completed two years of college. The fieldwork must be completed prior to graduation, be certified and approved by the faculty of the Department.

Concurrent and/or Enrollment in Another Institution

Students who wish to take, or have already taken, coursework in a community college or another institution to meet curricular requirements must petition the ET Undergraduate Advisor for approval.