Department Chair: Kristine M. Zentgraf
Department Office: Psychology Building, Room 145
Telephone: (562) 985‑4602
Faculty: Sabrina Alimahomed-Wilson, Nielan Barnes, Carole Campbell, Michael Chavez, Norma Stoltz Chinchilla, Jeffrey Davis, Shelley T. Eriksen, J. William Gibson, Jan Haldipur, Claudia Lopez, Nancy Martin, Chantrey J. Murphy, Leakhena Nou, Steven Osuna, Varisa Patrapon, Esa Syeed, Oliver Wang, Jake Wilson, Kerry Woodward, Kristine M. Zentgraf
Administrative Support Coordinators: Kim Glick, Jacqueline Southern
Students desiring information should refer to the department website or contact the department office for referral to faculty advisor:
Undergraduate Advisors: Sabrina Alimahomed, Nancy Martin, Kerry Woodward, Jake Wilson
Graduate Advisor: Kerry Woodward
College: College of Liberal Arts
Sociologist • Social Worker • Health Care Administrator • Community Organizer • School Counselor • Urban Planner • Personnel Manager • Statistician • Public Health Worker • College Student Service Worker • Lawyer • Lobbyist • City Planning Aide • Adoption Counselor • Market Researcher • Employment Interviewer • Management Trainee (Some of these, and other careers, require additional education or experience. For more information, see www.careers.csulb.edu.)
Sociology courses are suitable for fulfilling general education or elective requirements for students of other majors.
Honors in Sociology
Students may be admitted to Sociology Honors program (an option of the University Honors Program) when they have:
- A minimum of three semesters remaining before graduation;
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 overall and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in Sociology courses;
- Completed the lower division courses required for the major (SOC 100 , SOC 142 , SOC 170 , SOC 270 ) or have junior standing and a minimum of four sociology courses;
- Submitted an application with one letter of recommendation from a faculty member.
To graduate with Honors in Sociology a student must:
- Complete all regular requirements for the major in Sociology;
- Complete 3 units of an Honors Selected Topics (SOC 487H or equivalent approved by the department honors advisor) and 6 units related to the Honors Thesis (SOC 488H and SOC 489H or equivalent 6 units accepted by the department honors advisor). These required 9 units may be in addition to general requirements for the major in sociology or may be counted as part of the concentration or elective units required for the regular Sociology BA degree. SOC 488H and SOC 489H are equivalent to UHP 496 and UHP 498 ;
- Do one of the following: Present own original research paper for a student research competition, present such a paper at a professional meeting, or write a research paper that the department honors advisor agrees is of professional quality;
- Serve as a Student Teaching Fellow (peer facilitator) for at least one undergraduate sociology course OR serve as a research intern under faculty supervision.
Students are strongly encouraged to:
- Join Alpha Kappa Delta, the International Sociology Honor Society;
- Engage in service to the department or the discipline of sociology.
ProgramsUndergraduate DegreesGraduate and Professional DegreesMinor