Feb 27, 2021  
2018-2019 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Political Science

Department Chair: Teresa Wright

Department Office: Social Science Public Affairs (SS/PA) Rm 257
Telephone: (562) 985‑4704
FAX: (562) 985-4979
Email: posc@csulb.edu
Website: http://www.cla.csulb.edu/departments/polisci/

Faculty: Mary Caputi, Anand Commissiong, Christopher Dennis, Darin DeWitt, Larry George, Cora Sol Goldstein, Liesl Haas, Richard Haesly, Charles Mahoney, Larry F. Martinez, Charles Noble, Amy Cabrera Rasmussen, Kevin Wallsten, Jason E. Whitehead, Teresa Wright

Administrative Coordinator: Amelia Marquez
Administrative Assistant: Katie Masterson

Students desiring information should contact the department office for referral to one of the faculty advisors:

Credential: Eileen Luhr (History)
Undergraduate: Darin DeWitt, Richard Haesly
Graduate: Cora Sol Goldstein

College: College of Liberal Arts  

Courses: POSC  

Career Possibilities

Political Scientist • Journalist • Foreign Service Officer • Urban Planner • Para Legal • Labor Relations Specialist • Administrator• Researcher • Lobbyist • Archivist • Probation/ Parole Officer • Intelligence Analyst • Teacher • Lawyer • Social Service Worker • Market Research Analyst • Public Survey Worker • Community Organizer • Politician • Legislative Aide • City Manager (Some of these, and other careers, require additional education or experience. For more information, see www.careers.csulb.edu.)


The political science major provides systematic knowledge of the nature and scope of political science. In addition, a political science major is preparation for general education, good citizenship and participation in political life.

General Education Requirements in Government

The Education Code requires each college graduate to meet (1) a federal government requirement and (2) a California state and local government requirement. Both of these requirements can be met by POSC 100  (for lower division students) or POSC 391  (for upper division students). If the student has completed the federal government requirement, but not the California state and local government requirement, the student should take POSC 199 , POSC 326 , or POSC 399 . Students who have taken American federal, state or local government at another institution should check with a political science advisor before enrolling.


    Undergraduate DegreesGraduate and Professional DegreesMinor


      Political Science

      General Education Category A must be completed prior to taking any upper division course.