Jun 07, 2023  
2022-2023 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Chemistry, B.S.

(120 units)

This degree is approved for distance education by the WSCUC.

Degree Progress

BS Chemistry majors must complete the following requirements within the specified time of declaring the major. Some students may need to take courses during Summer Session to meet these requirements. Students who have not met the requirements by the required semester must either declare another major or meet with an Academic Advisor to determine if the student’s performance in the courses merits an additional semester to complete. 


A grade “C” or better must be achieved in the following courses within one calendar year.

A grade of “C” or better must be achieved in the following courses within two calendar years.

Transfer Students:

A grade of “C” or better must be achieved in the following courses within 1 calendar year.


In addition, all BS Chemistry majors must earn a “C” or better in all courses counting toward the major and must maintain major and upper-division major GPAs of 2.0 or higher. A student whose GPA in the major or upper division GPA in the major falls below 2.0 will be advised that they are at risk of being dismissed from the major and granted one semester to raise their major GPA(s) to 2.0. Students who do not successfully raise their major GPA(s) must meet with an advisor to declare another major or submit an appeal to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry explaining why they need one additional semester. Students whose major GPAs remain below 2.0 after this additional semester must declare a new major.

Students Desiring Entrance into a Health Professions Program

Students desiring entrance into one of the various health-related professional schools should consult with the Health Professions Advising Office in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Jensen Student Access to Sciences and Mathematics Center (HSCI-164) for more information. Most of the these schools do not require students to major in any particular discipline and many favor applicants who have earned a baccalaureate; rather, they want students who have done well in their major and who also took the prerequisite courses required by that particular school.


Lower Division:


BIOL 111, BIOL 111L, BIOL 212 , BIOL 212L  are required if courses were taken prior to catalog year 2010-11.

Or one of the following:

Take either:

Upper Division:

Take the following:

Take all of the following courses:

Take an additional 3 units

Take an additional 3 units of upper division chemistry electives including at least one unit of

Additional courses in mathematics

Students are also advised to take one or more additional courses in mathematics, such as