Jun 18, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Music, M.A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search

The Master of Arts degree in Music provides academic concentrations in Musicology and Music Education.


  1. A Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in music, a Bachelor of Music degree, or a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 24 units of upper division courses in music comparable to those required of a major in music at this University;
  2. The student must request all institutions of higher learning attended to send official copies of transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions and Records and another set to the Conservatory of Music Graduate Advisor. Transcripts presented to the Admissions Office by the student are not acceptable. Graduates of California State University, Long Beach must follow these same procedures when making application to the Master of Arts in music program;
  3. All applicants are required to complete the Bob Cole Conservatory Graduate Placement Examination before they register for courses applicable to the Master of Arts degree. (Under special circumstances, a student may take the examination during the first semester in which he or she is registered in courses applicable to the degree.) Applicants for all options of the M.A. degree must present samples of their scholarly writings in music for review by the Graduate faculty. Applicants for the musicology concentration must show evidence of reading and translation ability in one foreign language (French or German);
  4. A GPA of 3.00 or better in upper division Music courses. Students who do not meet the 3.00 GPA requirement or specified balance within the required 24 units of upper division music but who possess outstanding or unusual qualifications that promise a significant contribution to the Master of Arts program may petition for a special review from the Conservatory Graduate Committee.

Advancement to Candidacy

The prerequisites for advancement to candidacy are the same as those for the Master of Music.


Approved Courses

Completion of a minimum of 30 units of approved upper division and graduate courses with at least 24 units in the major. The following courses are the only undergraduate classes allowed to count on a graduate program. All others must be taken at the 500- or 600-level. (The program may not include more than six units of transfer graduate credit).

Core courses required (13-15 units)

Take the following courses:

Additional courses for Musicology concentration:

Take 6 units of music electives

(students in this concentration are strongly encouraged to elect theory as well as performance classes, especially Collegium Musicum and New Music Ensemble).

Take thesis for 6 units in this concentration.

Additional courses for Music Education Concentration:

Take 4 units of electives

(students in this concentration are encouraged to elect performance and conducting classes).

Take thesis for 4-6 units in this concentration, dependent upon project.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search