Feb 25, 2024
The MA program seeks to provide advanced knowledge of French and Francophone literature, its history, and major writers and works, combined with the aims and methods of scholarly research in the field. While some of our MA graduates go on to doctoral study in literature, others pursue careers in education, translation, international brand or event management, public health, development, and business. The program provides training in language pedagogy. A limited number of Teaching Associate positions are available to qualified candidates. Study abroad and exchange opportunities available to qualified candidates.
- A bachelor of arts degree in French, or:
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 24 upper-division units in French, comparable to those required of a major in French at this University. Deficiencies will be determined by the advisor after consultation with the student and study of transcript records.
Advancement to Candidacy
- Approval of the graduate program by the graduate advisor, the faculty advisor and/or departmental committee, and the College of Liberal Arts Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.
- The candidate should file for advancement upon completion of 6 units and preferably no more than 9 units on the program. A 3.0 GPA is required.
- Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR). Graduate students who earned a degree from an accredited college or university in the United States satisfy the GWAR.
- Completion of a minimum of 30 units of approved upper-division and graduate courses, with a minimum of 24 units in the 500 and 600 series in French;
- Specifically required courses include: FREN 580* and one of the following: FREN 696* or RGR 501* (*students with a BA in French from CSULB see advisor)
- Two years of one of the following languages: Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, German, or Russian, or pass an examination at intermediate level in one of those languages. A major or minor in a second foreign language may be used to fulfill this requirement, upon approval by the Department. For other languages, consult the Graduate Advisor:
- Maintain a GPA of at least “B” (3.0) in the major;
- Pass comprehensive examinations on the Graduate Reading List in three areas to be selected by student upon consultation with Graduate Advisor (Note: In order to satisfy the culminating activity requirement (thesis, project, or comprehensive examination dependent upon the program), students must earn at least three (3) units and no more than six (6) units related to the completion of the culminating activity.);
- No more than six units of transfer graduate credits are allowed, subject to approval by the Graduate Advisor. No more than six units of International Programs course work may be credited toward the 24-unit French requirement for the MA at this university;
- Teaching Associates must take RGR 601 - Teaching Methodology. These units do not count toward the required 30 units for completion of the MA.
Specifically required courses include:
*students with a BA in French from CSULB see advisor
Single Subject Teaching Credential in French
For information, refer to the undergraduate section in this department.