Chair: Shadnaz Asgari
Department Office: Engineering Technology (ET) 114
School Telephone: (562) 985-5467
Undergraduate Advisor: Perla Ayala
General Education Advising: Academic Advising - Horn Center
Faculty: Siavash Ahrar, Shadnaz Asgari, Perla Ayala, Emel Demircan, I-Hung Khoo, Roger Lo, Maryam Moussavi, Ga-Young Kelly Suh
Students desiring detailed information should contact the department for referral to the faculty advisor.
Administrative Support Coordinator: Rowena Moore
- Design equipment and devices, such as artificial internal organs, replacements for body parts, and machines for diagnosing medical problems
- Install, adjust, maintain, repair, or provide technical support for biomedical equipment
- Evaluate the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of biomedical equipment
- Train clinicians and other personnel on the proper use of equipment
- Work with life scientists, chemists, and medical scientists to research the engineering aspects of the biological systems of humans and animals
(For more information, see www.careers.csulb.edu.)
The Department of Biomedical Engineering is supported by an Advisory Board composed of biomedical engineers, and business executives in the Southern California area. This liaison helps the department keep its curricula responsive to the needs of the community.
Undergraduate Degree Programs
The degree in Biomedical Engineering focuses on Biomechanics, Bioinstrumentation, Biofluids, Biomaterials and Bioinformatics.
Students will receive a comprehensive education in biomedical engineering, as well as the sciences and humanities, and will be able to communicate effectively. They will be able to design equipment and devices that meet performance, cost, time, safety, and quality requirements. They will understand professional responsibilities and will be able to analyze the social and ethical implications of their work.